Nobody can do it better…
It’s prayer time!!!!!
Ever felt like you didn’t know how to pray or what to pray for? I’ve been there and sometimes I still have a little doubt when it comes to praying but I am not here to tell you how to pray or what to pray for but to give you a peek into my thoughts about prayer.
Growing up I was taught the Lord’s Prayer (above) and that prayer is supposed to cover all the bases in your life, right? The Lord’s Prayer is a guide, a blueprint of how you are suppose to pray. As I got older I would pay closer attention to the grown ups around me praying and I remember hearing the Lord’s Prayer but they wouldn’t stop there. It turned into another prayer after the already semi-long prayer. I remember as a child seeing my dad on his knees for hours praying and I really thought he was asleep most of the time because I just couldn’t understand why someone would want to do that prayer thing in that way for so long.
I understand myself so well and I don’t like getting on my knees for anything, it’s a vulnerable position and who wants to be vulnerable. I’ve always been a prideful person since I can remember. Vulnerability just wasn’t the move for me. Its crazy but I don’t really remember praying by myself growing up unless it was praying over my food or my before bed prayer, you remember?
Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray to God my soul to take. Amen
I started a yearly tradition of praying when I moved to Atlanta. Every New Year’s Day I would sit down and pray over the new year ahead of me. It would be so long and I would write it out. This became the start of me setting goals for myself. I would frame the prayer and place it on my night stand to see daily throughout the year.
I was still not getting on my knees and praying and also wouldn’t pray around people. I definitely wasn’t praying out loud either. As the years have gone by I have heard so many “ways” that I am supposed to be praying that it all gets confusing. Praying is a honest conversation between you and God. You talk to Him like you would talk to your bestie but probably with a little more openness and honesty. He already knows what you have going on anyway.
He just wants you to trust Him enough to tell Him everything.
These days I am still writing my prayers in journals but I am speaking them out loud as well. I occasionally get on my knees although still a little bit of a struggle for me but I am working through it. I still get super nervous when I am praying around people (I hold my breath, not safe at all lol) and I am working on that as well.
I am no minister, pastor or bishop but I am a believer and I see how prayer has made a difference in my life and the lives of those around me. I have decided that once a week on Simply My Purpose we will have a corporate prayer time. If you want us to pray for you, you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and if you would like for it remain anonymous simply put “Prayer Anonymous” in the subject and if you have a prayer and don’t want us to know the specifics simply put “Prayer Unspoken” in the subject.
I truly believe in its power and as time goes on I believe that you will to. I hope that you join me in this time where prayer is definitely needed more than ever for our lives and our world.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Ever want to go back and change somethings about your youth, no regrets but just some tweaks well guess what you can’t go back but you can start right now. Start right now and be that person that you needed someone to be for you as you were growing up. You need you but there is someone else out there that needs you as well. Be that person don’t ever think that it is too late.
Taking a step back… I know that I introduced myself in the About Me page and gave you a little snippet in my first blog post “My New Thing” but I thought let me give the people a little more. So I did this little exercise awhile back but I have since updated it. So here are 20 quick facts about me in no particular order.
- My dreams scare me to the point that sometimes I want to stay complacent where I am.
- I love fresh flowers.
- I love that I grew up with brothers. I don’t ever remember wishing for sisters but I am grateful for the ladies in my life that I can call sisters.
- I don’t want to be famous but I want to work with famous people.
- I want a huge successful business that empowers people daily.
- I want to be a strong role model for my nieces and nephews.
- I feel like I’m a good friend however I’m still growing in areas.
- I love attention but I only want it from certain people.
- I loved to be spoiled and I am quite spoiled. Thanks Mom!!!!
- I want to be the greatest at everything that I put my hands on.
- I want a huge house on a hill away from the rest of the world.
- I would rather be home with a good book and my journal than to be out and about in the world.
- I love to eat candy, cupcakes, and cookies. Sweets …
- I want to do a really sexy maybe semi nude or nude photo shoot one day.
- I want to learn how to play an instrument.
- I want to take cooking classes.
- I am super mushy and soft but I put a very huge tough front.
- I really want my family to be like the Brady Bunch and be super close.
- I honestly don’t need a lot to be happy but I want to be happy.
- By any means necessary I want my life to reflect hard work, dedication, love, peace, balance, success and all things positive especially God.
I hope this gives you a little peak into who I am and I will do more of these little exercises so that we all can get to know each other and become a big happy family.
What are some quick facts about you that no one knows? Comment below and let me know.
Talk to you soon,